The storeroom is the place for extra items not used regularly and it should not become a store for junk items as keeping unusable/discarded items is considered inappropriate.
Some essential guiding principles for store room according to Vastu are as follows:
- The store rooms used for grain storage should be placed in North-west portion of building as it is beneficial in terms of providing good provision of storage with minimal chances of shortage in grains.
- Ideally door in this room can be constructed in any direction except South-west and can have two shutters for easier movement and placement of bigger items, if so is suitable architecturally.
- Keep in mind that the floor height of granary room should be more than other rooms. The windows in this room should be made on Eastern or Western sides.
- The colour chosen in store room should be tints of white, yellow or blue.
- Store annual stock of granary in South-west corner while daily use grains must be stored in North-west direction.
- Water should be avoided in store rooms but if there is a provision of water in store room then it must be kept in pitchers or vessels.
- Things like oil, ghee, refined and gas cylinder etc should be stored in South-east corner of storage.
- Avoid any kind of empty container in storage room.
- Never sleep in storage room as the vibrations tends to obstruct people’s sleep.