Bedrooms are our personal space where we rest at night and are affected most by various energies. The direction and vastu rules for a bedroom are thus largely governed by its user. Different directions/ locations are advised for master of the house, children, aged and married couples on the basis of qualities like, peace, aggression, wealth, knowledge etc associated with the directions.
- A bedroom in the North: This is the ideal direction for young couples and also for storing valuables, important papers, cash, jewellery etc.
- A bedroom in the North East: This direction should not have any bedroom since it is the sacred space of the house.
- A bedroom in the East: The direction is ideal for unmarried children.
- A bedroom in the South East: The direction is not recommended for having bedroom since it is the quadrant of fire and imparts a hot temperament to those occupying it. It also leads to constant quarrels between couples and incures excessive expenditure. Children staying in this direction do not take interest in their studies and finds it difficult to get a sound sleep.
- A bedroom in the South or South West: The direction is ideal for having master bedroom and should be occupied by the head of the family. It should be larger than the other rooms. In case of a multi storeyed building, this room should always be on the top floor.
- A bedroom in the West: The direction is ideal for students. However, it increases the probability of birth of a larger number of girls in the family.
- A bedroom in the North West: The location is the best for newlywed couples.
- Vaastu Shastra does not recommend a bedroom in the South East under any circumstances. It is best to shift from this room to any other room in the South West, South, West or North West. In case there is no choice, keep the bed away from the southeast corner or you will be sleeping on too much fire. Sleep in this room with your head towards the South and feet towards the North to ward off the ill-effects.
- The ideal colors for the walls of the bedroom are light shades of rose, blue and green. The master bedroom and the guest room should be painted in different hues of blue for a good sleep.
- You can decorate the walls with attractive wall hangings or pictures that bring pleasure and not the ones depicting war or battles since this is what you will see the first thing in the morning when you wake up.
- The correct placement of furniture in the bedroom makes one feel at home. Vaastu suggests that since bedrooms normally have heavy objects like beds, cupboards etc, they should be placed in the South, South West or West direction of the room.
- According to Vaastu Shastra, mirrors should not be located inside the bedroom and specifically we should not see our reflection in mirror while on bed as this leads to frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between couples. However, if essential, place them preferably along the North East wall.
- It is best to sleep with the head towards the South or west direction of the bedroom. The South brings a good deep sleep and ensures long life, while the North results in distracted sleep and nightmares.
- There should be no window behind the bed, while sleeping.
A beam should never run above your head while sleeping. This theory in vastu is also complimented by feng shui and psychology theories wherein heavy item above you or any pointed object pointing you makes you uneasy and disturbs while concentrating and sleeping.